Tuesday, March 16, 2010

First Braxton Hicks at 21 Weeks

Ok, this may sound like a strange malady to the uninformed, but it is actually a fancy way of saying my uterus decided to have a brief warm-up contraction to start training for the big birth day marathon. :-) It's very natural and healthy--even this early.

I had just dismissed the 6th grade tutorees at the end of a long day. Just before I reached the door of the classroom I felt an unexpected twinge in my belly. I simply stopped, relaxed my belly until the slight tightness ended, and continued on my way. The only real discomfort was that first brief second before I relaxed. Later that night I felt another milder one.

...Good thing I like reading and researching. By being well-informed I knew that as long as I didn't experience more than 3-4 of those in an hour all was well. Another benefit included knowing to stop and relax, and that this is normal! I don't believe one can be too well informed. My trick is to focus on the practical information that will likely equip me with knowledge or skills and mostly ignore the horror stories except to note any potential risk or twist in plans that I should be aware is humanly possible. :-P 

My goal is to enter labor with Plan A and a contingency plan (B-Y). I want a low-key, relaxed atmosphere as much as possible--yet I'm also aware I should expect the unexpected (Z). ...Hurray for a body that is preparing too! (Yes, I'll probably eat those words by the end of this pregnancy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment